Re: [eclipse-dev] Abstract implements Interface (Not Honored)

Riyad, this is best posted to the newsgroup.
This mail list is intended to discuss the state of recent builds, etc., by
the eclipse developers.

Thanks,
Kevin McGuire

                    "Riyad Kalla"
                    <rsk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        To:     "Eclipse" <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    eclipse-dev-admin@e        Subject:     [eclipse-dev] Abstract implements Interface
                    clipse.org                 (Not Honored)

                    12/13/01 07:25 PM
                    Please respond to
                    eclipse-dev

This seemed like a strange thing to me, and I wanted to point it out incase
it is something that needs to be recognized.

I have an interface defined like:

public interface Banana
{
    public void tasty();
    public void horribleFlavor();
}

and an abstract class defined:

public abstract class Desert implements Banana
{
    public void tasy()
    {
        return true;
    }

    public void horribleFalvor()
    {
        return true;
    }
}

And expectedly this compiles just fine, but if I change my abstract class
to this:

public abstract class Desert implements Banana
{
    public void toothpaste()
    {
        return true;
    }

    public void flavorFromHell()
    {
        return true;
    }
}

My abstract class still compiles under Eclipse 1.0, if I remove the keyword
'abstract' THEN it starts to moan and groan about it needing to implement
the methods from the interface... I find this strange/wrong behavior since
as a debugging measure, I end up developing all my abstract classes as
non-abstract, then at the last minute change them to abstract when I know
they work.

I hear somplace that Eclipse uses Jikes, is this a behavior of Jikes? Also,
if Eclipse DOES use Jikes, will it be possible in the future, to set it up
to use the JDK's tools installed with the JDK? I'm guessing since I get to
setup a JRE in the IDE, that it uses the 'java.exe' that comes with the
JDK, but since I don't get to set up any of the other JDK preferences (such
as 'javac.exe' as the compiler) I'm guessing that Eclipse uses Jikes.

Can anyone clarify these two things for me? (Abstract + Interface == Not
Honored (Jikes problem?) AND Compiler is Jikes, can it ever be Javac?).

I appreciate your time,
-Riyad

Back to the top