Re: [ecf-dev] New Tutorial ECF OSGI remote service zookeeper/generic

Hi Tobias,

On 4/29/2016 5:57 AM, Pyttel, Tobias Alexander wrote:

Hey Scott,

I would like to answer your questions:

for the tutorial, do you intended to use declarative services (DS)?

For my projects I normally use Eclipse Gemini Blueprint. But for this tutorial I can use DS from OSGI spec or I can even use plain code. I think plain code can show the whole project structure very clear, but I’m open to use DS. So what would be your choice for this tutorial?

It's my impression that DS is getting more usage and attention, and it does make things very simple...i.e. very little code (particularly with DS annotations, which are now supported in Neon...e.g. see  [1]).  It's also a great way to show that the dynamics inherent in remote services (e.g. network failure) can be gracefully handled.    But obviously it's not required for remote services examples, and of course you should choose based upon what technologies you are using/are comfortable with.

Also...with your focus on device configuration, do you also plan to use OSGi configuration admin or perhaps even the remote management APIs recently created[1]?

A really good point! No didn’t plan but I will have a look at the remote management APIs. For the tutorial and ECF it would really make sense to do so. So let me fist have a closer look and after that I will tell you about my decision.

If the answer is 'yes' or 'maybe', I would be happy to help with your use of any of these for the tutorial and/or your other development

Very niceJ I will come back to this offerJ, but first off all I‘ll introduce myself with the new API.

Sounds good.  Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top