Re: [ecf-dev] ecf-dev Digest, Vol 121, Issue 14

On 8/31/2015 12:52 AM, Hallvard Trætteberg wrote:
Hi,

Karaf has a “hot” deploy folder, and anything you drop there will be installed by Karaf. You can both drop OSGi bundles and a feature file there. In my maven-based build I use two techniques:
- I have an Eclipse feature project and an update site (repository) project and build these with Tycho. The update site build will give you a target directory with a plugin folder, from which you can copy the plugins you need, into the deploy folder. The configuration of the Eclipse feature project determines which plugin will end up in the plugins folder, so you can control it pretty precisely.
- For OSGi bundles that are not part of the Eclipse world and built with Tycho, I use a features.xml file. This is Karaf’s way of describing features, and is essentially the same as Eclipse’s feature project, but in a slightly different format. This file can reference bundles in a maven repository, at a URL or a local file. Hence, you can prepare a features.xml file that provides the remaining bundles. By using features.xml you can also set start level etc.

See https://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/users-guide/provisioning.html for more on this.

Thanks Hallvard.

Some more information wrt ECF. The ECF zip that comes with every release (i.e. [1]), contains *all* the ECF (and Orbit) bundles referred to in the karaf features file(s), as these features just refer to the ECF bundles in the p2 repository on download.eclipse.org via urls. The 4 equinox bundle dependencies (at the top of 2, for example) are the only exception to that.

I suppose it would be possible to create an ECF distribution (zip, tar.gz, etc) that contained all the bundles referred to in [2], and also contained a feature.xml that referred to those bundles so that everything could be installed into karaf by placing into directories as Hallvard describes above. I would/will need some releng help with accomplishing this, however.

Speaking of ECF releng, there was a plan to move to Tycho for building, and I suspect that this could make things easier WRT mavent repos support, karaf support more generally. I haven't been able to reach Mat Booth at Red Hat via direct emails this summer (who had done quite a lot of work on that I believe). Does anyone else know what's going on there?

Thanks,

Scott

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/ecf/downloads.php
[2] http://download.eclipse.org/rt/ecf/3.10.0/site.p2/karaf-features.xml