[ecf-dev] discussions of Remote Services and

Hi Folks,

As most of you probably know, ECF's standards-compliant implementation OSGi Remote Services/RSA will work on any R5+ Framework (Equinox, Felix, others). It's also tested and a distribution is created specifically for the Apache Karaf project [1]. There is more to do to make the Karaf install more flexible (e.g. support separate installs for various discovery and distribution providers), but it is serviceable for that environment.

Since many use Apache Felix, I've been trying to get the word out to that community that ECF (and more generally Remote Services and RSA) can provide a very good answer to various use cases. Afaik we are the only RSA implementation that supports and has implementations for multiple distribution and discovery providers, and provides these implementations in open source so that they can be enhanced and extended for specific protocol needs/use cases. The websockets support added in 3.10 is an example of doing exactly this.

From my chair I see more and more interest and usage of OSGI Remote Services/RSA, as particularly with the trend toward micro services and Internet of Things, an open standardized api but flexible open implementation approach to remote services is a very good thing. One recent example of this interest was expressed on the Felix users mailing list on this thread [2].

Since ECF 3.10.0/Mars release is essentially complete, I wanted to begin a community discussion leading to ECF work plans in the coming year. I think it's going to be a great year for adoption of both Remote Services and ECF's implementation, and I want to hear from the community on desired priorities and ideas, and discuss anticipated resource commitments.

I will post again with my own thoughts on priorities in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Scott

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/EIG:Install_into_Apache_Karaf
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/users%40felix.apache.org/msg16368.html