Re: [ecf-dev] remote services in java applications (no OSGi framework)

Great work Scott. Congratulations.

Regards,

Wim

On May 15, 2015, at 20:34, Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Progress to report on this.

I've created a new repo on ECF's github site entitled 'ServiceRegistry'
[1]. Currently in this repo are the following java projects:

1) org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.serviceregistry. This project declares a
top-level interface:
org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistry [2]. Instances of
this interface may be used by java application to register services,
lookup/get/use services and service references, etc. Note that most of
the methods on this interface essentially mimic those available in OSGi
via a valid BundleContext. Also present is a ServiceRegistryFactory
interface, that can be used to create/configure ServiceRegistry
instances via the java ServiceLoader. Also present are a few classes in
the launch sub-package, that allows the launching to be configured (i.e.
what bundles are included).

2) org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.serviceregistry.equinox. This project provides
an Equinox-based implementation of the ServiceRegistry interface.

3) org.eclipse.ecf.test.osgi.serviceregistry. This is a test project
that uses the Equinox-based implementation to test the ServiceRegistry API.

4) org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.serviceregistry.pojo. This provides a
PojoSR-based implementation of the ServiceRegistry interface.

Note that all of the above are pure java projects, not plugin/osgi projects.

I've tested the PojoSR-based implementation with ECF RS/RSA...and it
works! What this means is that for RS/RSA either hosts (servers)
and/or consumers (clients), the same code that exposes and uses Remote
Services in OSGi can now work in a java-only environment (i.e. without
the OSGi framework). This makes possible a number of very interesting
Remote Services/RSA use cases...e.g. Java-based clients with OSGi
Servers, Java Servers with OSGi Clients (e.g. Eclipse/RCP), and etc, all
with RS/RSA discovery and/or whatever distribution provider, DS,
ServiceTrackers, etc as desired. The utility of Remote Services for
Internet of Things....where a full OSGi framework may not be
assumed/present...is pretty obvious.

My next intention is to create a small example...perhaps creating a
java8-only client for the TimeService. If people have other examples
that they are interested in, or would like to collaborate on testing
and/or examples, please let me know.

Scott

[1] https://github.com/ECF/ServiceRegistry
[2]