Re: [ecf-dev] Application start-up when using RSA

Hi Tim,

On 3/18/2015 6:08 PM, Timothy Vogel wrote:
I have a long delay (approximately 16 seconds) during start-up of my application.  To debug, I enabled logging of all bundle events.  I have attached the full log but the lines below lead me to believe that the delay is part of RSA starup.

Hmm.  I see that 16 seconds elapses between the PACKAGES REFRESHED event and the RSA ServiceEvent Registered, but I'm at a complete loss to explain what would take that time in RSA startup.  Is it possible that the package refresh is taking a long time for some reason (weaving)?  The amount of code executed in the o.e.e.osgi.services.remoteserviceadmin Activator is negligible...especially before the RemoteServiceAdmin service registration (which is reported as the ServiceEvent Registered).

Any suggestions on how to determine if it is RSA and how to reduce the startup time?

One way would be to run in Eclipse debugger and turn on tracing...especially for the org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.services.remoteserviceadmin bundle tracing options.

Again in the debugger you could pause the app during the 16 second delay (after the PACKAGES message presumably there would be a pause), and look at the threads to see where they were/what they were doing during that delay.   Or you could put a breakpoint in the o.e.e.osgi.services.remoteserviceadmin activator and see if the bundle event 16 sec pause occurred before the breakpoint or after.

A few questions:

1) Are you auto-starting all bundles in this client?...as opposed to the usual Eclipse/RCP lazy start?
2) Which bundle(s) contains the (4?) edef files?
3) When are these edef bundles started?...relative to the o.e.e.osgi.services.remoteserviceadmin bundle? (i.e. prior to or after the long delay?);
4) Is there any network discovery mechanism (e.g. zeroconf, etc?) present?
5) Is what you've provided below the entire bundle event log?
6) Does this client discover, connect to, and import the remote services during it's startup?  (or is it triggered later?).

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top