[ecf-dev] what's going on with ECF

Hi Folks,

It's time for ab update from me about what's going on with ECF. There hasn't been much traffic on ecf-dev, but that doesn't mean that nothing is going on...in fact it more likely means that more is going on :).

1) ECF committer Jan Rellermeyer has recently made a contribution of allowing the rosgi distribution provider to run over websockets. For those that are not aware, websockets is a recently finalized standard for doing data communication over http/https. 2) I have been recently engaged in adding to 1 to create two new ECF remote services distribution providers, one for rosgi-over-http, and the other for rosgi-over-https.

With 1 and 2, it allows ECF consumers to run arbitrary remote services over http/https with *no* changes to the service. Obviously, one big appeal is that websockets works through most modern proxies and firewalls. It also further demonstrates the power of ECF's open provider architecture, where if you want would like to run arbitrary standardized remote services over a private, new, or other transport protocol, all that's needed is a new provider. And creating a new ECF remote services provider is getting continuously easier [1].

Especially with Internet of Things, where new messaging protocols are appearing all the time (e.g. MQTT, COAP, etc., etc) ECF remote services provides an ideal way to develop standardized remote services between devices and/or servers [3], while insulating the application from variability in the underlying transport. For example, it would be completely feasible..even easy...to develop using one distribution provider, and then deploy/run on another. This represents a new and very useful separation of concerns for building networked applications, and ECF's open provider architecture (along with support of standards) is unique in allowing such an approach.

Also: it's probably not as well-known, but in addition to the distribution providers distributed by EF (rosgi, ECF generic/ssl, XMPP, REST, SOAP), we also have a number of providers available via our github location [2]:

1) Websockets (the work from Jan described in 1 above)
2) JMS (a JMS/ActiveMQ-based distribution provider)
3) Mqtt-Provider (A distribution provider based upon Paho impl of MQTT)
4) RestletProvider (A distribution provider based upon Restlet)
5) etcd-provider (A discovery provider that uses an etcd server)

If others have updates about things that are going on (committers and/or contributors) please feel free to speak up. I'm sure everyone would like to be updated about what's going on.

If you have any questions about anything, please just ask.

Scott

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tutorial:_ECF_Remote_Services_for_Accessing_Existing_REST_Services
[2] https://github.com/ECF
[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tutorial:_OSGi_Remote_Services_for_Raspberry_Pi_GPIO