Re: [ecf-dev] zookeeper server?

I am happy to maintain the discovery server at this address if Markus does not want to do it. Markus is currently the admin.

Cheers,

Wim

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Wim,

On 5/2/2014 9:19 AM, Wim Jongman wrote:

Hi Scott,

Yes that is correct. I don't know if we want to make a perpetual discovery server available. We are not here to provide infrastructure if you ask me.

In general I would agree with you (we aren't infrastructure providers)...but given that no one else will provide this infrastructure (Internet discovery of remote services) on our behalf...and given how important this is to get prospective users/developers of OSGi Remote Services easily 'up and running'...particularly WRT small internet devices (Iot)...I don't see how we have much choice.

If we send people to a server and that server does not work then this is not a good experience.

Yeah, that's what I want to avoid.

It is very easy to setup your own discover server. The instructions are here:

https://github.com/ECF/ZooServer

I will add the latter to the pages. Agree?

I'm completely fine with providing all the information for setting up and running one's own discovery server...and to me that is clearly a better solution for actual deployment of remote services (i.e. orgs/products like yours).

However...I think at least during this 'bootstrap time' wrt OSGi remote services it would be very helpful to people that haven't used OSGi Remote Services to be able to easily point to a known host (disco or whatever) and publish, discover, run/use their OSGi remote services...without setting up their own zookeeper server, or configuring their device/LAN for multicast (zeroconf), or etc.  It would be nice if they could test out their publishing (host) and discovery (consumer) simply by adding those two zookeeper system properties.

But again...I do agree with you about providing infrastructure (which obviously means admin/security/maintenance, etc).  In a perfect world, IMHO that would be something for Eclipse Foundation to do...and if you want to open bug, etc to request their doing this I would fully endorse it (and I expect we might get support for that from others).   It's certainly not unprecedented these days...as an MQTT broker is being run by the Foundation now (for example), but that's a discussion/battle that I cannot personally take on prior to Luna release.

Thanks,

Scott