[ecf-dev] service discovery working even if port mis configured

Hi,

I'm investigating using ECF for use in a (RCP) client and server scenario. I've gotten the timeservice example to run, including using DS for the service definition, but I've some trouble getting ECF configured for our use case.

Maybe someone can bring some light in the questions i have.

The general problem i have is that service discovery is working too well for our setup ;)

That means e.g.: when running the com.mycorp.examples.timeservice.consumer.ds and com.mycorp.examples.timeservice.host and changing the server port to eg. 8888 in the supplied TimeServiceHost.generic.product launch config without changing the corresponding -Decf.generic.server.port in the client launch config the service gets discovered as well.

From my point of view it seems like the client is ignoring the port setting.

If i think of environments where production and test machines reside in the same subnet that automatic discovery would lead to unexpected results.

What i've tried is substituting the org.eclipse.ecf.provider.jmdns service discovery provider with the zookeeper discovery. When running zoodiscovery.flavor.standalone the result seems to be the same (misconfigured server port, but service gets discovered).

The only solution which i found was running zoodiscovery.flavor.centralized, which results in a not working client when the supplied IP address is wrong.

What we want: simple client setup that just talks to the server supplied (which is only known at runtime of the client app - so xml service description cannot be used). The client is expected to get the server's IP adress from a local property file in the user home.

It would be great to use DS for service description and only have one single point of configuring the server location, eg. as System Property which is set by a dependent bundle or something. (so multiple services, but only one remote server configuration done at runtime)

Maybe someone can point me in the correct direction for this kind of setup.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Peter

PS: I am using ECF 3.7.1 because our target platform is still eclipse indigo, but i don't think that matters for this use case

Back to the top