Re: [ecf-dev] Java8 support

On 4/2/2014 11:11 PM, Markus Alexander Kuppe wrote:
Hi Scott,

Buckminster should support this OOTB. You just have to installJRE a
Java8 into the workspace [1] (do think there is a Java8 on the fs yet)
and set the bundle's BREE accordingly.

Ok, I'll give it a go...probably over weekend. Would you/Markus have some time over the coming week to help out if I run into complexity?

Here's what I'm thinking for the entire build - release - install use case for this J8-enabled capability:

1) We build everything ECF *except* the 2.0 asyncproxy bundle using java6 or 7. This is what we are now doing...i.e. the current HEAD/Release SDK build jobs are now doing this..with my commits of the past couple of days. To prove this to yourself, you will find asyncproxy 1.0 in [1].

2) Using Java8, we build version 2.0 of asyncproxy bundle...as required...since the 2.0.0 version of this bundle references CompletableFuture.

3) We setup the build job(s) so that we eventually produce a single repo...with both 1.0 ( < J8) and 2.0 (J8+) versions of asyncproxy present in the same HEAD/RELEASE repos.

2 and 3 is what I'll be working on this coming weekend.

4) We arrange some set of features (maybe exactly what we have now, maybe not...I'm not sure) so that *both* versions of asyncproxy are installed into consumer's runtimes (Eclipse, other p2 users, or others...e.g. Karaf). Why do this? My thinking is this: This way, at framework startup time if both 1.0 and 2.0 versions of async proxy are present, and the java version being used is < J8, then the asyncproxy 1.0 version will resolve and be wired to, while if the java version is >= j8 then the 2.0 version will be used/wired. If my thinking is right on this, then this would mean that J8 users of ECF would have to do absolutely nothing to use this new CompletableFutures with async proxies....if they ran using j8 then the async proxy use of CF would/will 'just work'.

Please let me know if I'm not thinking right...about 4 in particular.

Scott

[1] http://build.ecf-project.org/repo/C-HEAD-sdk.feature/lastSuccessful/archive/site.p2/plugins/

Back to the top