Re: [ecf-dev] a completable future for OSGi remote services

If we are targeting embedded devices then I can understand some restriction to the runtime platform, otherwise let's just move on.

If people want to run old java versions then we have perfectly fine compatible ECF releases that match these VM's.

+1 for moving to Java8.

Cheers,

Wim

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/24/2014 06:19 PM, Scott Lewis wrote:

> The major drawback...for the time being...is that this does, of course,
> depend upon Java8...and so requires that both the remote service host
> and consumer use Java8, and that the remote service distribution
> provider be enhanced very slightly.   It's not technically challenging
> to make these enhancements, however.

Hi,

the usage of CompletableFutures for ECF's async proxies is indeed tempting.
To ease the migration though, is there maybe a standalone lib of CF
(obviously without labmdas) for < Java8 (similar to concurrent backports
when Java5 came out)? With it, we don't necessarily have to drag in a
Java8 dependency at our API level. OTOH we could also provide two
versions of our remote service distribution provider (one for Java8 and
another for < Java8).

M.