Re: [ecf-dev] GSoc 2014

Hi Ashu,

If you haven't already seen it, it might be useful for you to read this thread [1]...as there has already been some discussion with another prospective gsoc student (Sakith Indula) about opportunities for OSGi remote services tooling possibilities for ECF...and the discussion might give you some ideas.  If you want to discuss these further here, please feel free...although I'm a little bit time limited over the next week.

I'm not sure if you have any knowledge or relationship with this other GSOC student (I'm assuming not), but if you decide to make a proposal for GSOC 14 I can tell you that for me personally (Scott)...although I welcome all contributions for OSGi remote services tooling...I will only be able to mentor 1 GSOC proposal (whether around OSGi tooling or not).   This is due solely to my own time constraints.   Further, I will evaluate the student proposals based upon a combination of several factors:
   a) how detailed and specific the proposal is about what will come out of the GSOC work
   b) how much the proposal conveys that the student understands the problem domain (e.g. OSGi remote services and tooling in this case)
   b) how much the proposal can convey that the project/student will succeed in delivering sw that can ultimately become part of ECF

Of course I encourage other ECF committers becoming mentors, but I can't speak for their availability for mentoring this year.    I would request that they all speak up on this mailing list as soon as possible, so that prospective GSOC students can know about your availability for project proposals.

ECF has a long, successful history of GSOC projects, and it has been a great source of innovation...as well as new committers.   This is our model for successful GSOC work...i.e. it is expected to be of sufficient quality that it ultimately becomes part of ECF.   I would like to continue this tradition, and so a successful GSOC proposal will not only be expected to create high quality software for the GSOC project...but also I would very much like to see the student ultimately see the work through to contributing to ECF, and possibly becoming an ECF committer.

Best of luck to all students making GSOC 2014 proposals.    I'm very hopeful that ECF can continue the excellent GSOC tradition discussed above.

Thanks,

Scott

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ecf-dev/msg07000.html
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ecf-dev/msg06999.html