Re: [ecf-dev] feature refactoring progress

On 2/9/2014 1:44 PM, Wim Jongman wrote:
Scott, I am looking at the repo and I have some questions/remarks:

The term "Target Components": What does "Target" mean? It has always confused me because "Target" in communications generally means "the other system".

It means the target framework where the components are being installed. Basically, I borrowed it from Equinox and some other projects that are able to install components (aka features and bundles) into non-Eclipse 'target' OSGi frameworks. I can't remember the exact set of emails/bugs, but it was recommended to me to 'move away' from calling things an 'SDK'.

That being said, I'm not at all married to the 'target components' terms...if we can identify something clearer to our community...then the wording can easily be changed.

The "ECF Target components for Eclipse", is that the SDK? If it is, I suggest to rename it.

Well...yes...it's everything that can go into OSGi frameworks...and everything that can go into Eclipse. In our features it's feature id: org.eclipse.ecf.sdk

Rename to what...would you propose?

In the "Details" it says that it also includes the examples but I believe you have removed them.

Right...ok, fixed the wording in that description.  Thanks.

The filetransfer SSL features are now in the uncategorized category. I would expect it in the file transfer category

Haven't thought about/discussed categories...so that's a good point.

"ECF Remote Services Target Components" is this the Remote Services SDK? If not I suggest to drop the word "Target"

Ok...I'll look into what other projects are now doing/thinking.

The "ECF Remote Services SDK Examples" is in uncategorized. I would expect it in the remote services category.

It makes no sense to install the ECF Core and core SSL features. Do they need to be listed here? I guess the site must list all features that are not included to the answer is probably yes.

I think they do need to be listed here...although I agree that since they will now be available via Eclipse/Equinox it's a little awkward. One reason they still should be present: updates that can/could happen in between Eclipse releases.

I don't see the standalone docshare function you describe.

It's this feature: org.eclipse.ecf.docshare.feature. It does seem to be present in the build 'features' directory...i.e.

http://build.ecf-project.org/repo/C-HEAD-sdk.feature/lastSuccessful/archive/site.p2/features/

but I haven't done test installs with this repo, so perhaps there is something wrong with the metadata for this new feature. I will take a look on Monday.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top