Re: [ecf-dev] refactoring remote service features

On 2/6/2014 11:25 AM, Pablo García Sánchez wrote:
Yes, I know that using only a bundle is against OSGi philosophy :)

I don't think that's what I said :)...as I'm not inclined toward philosophy...very often anyway ;-).

I asked because the other day I just tested CXF by downloading their one-bundle distribution, started their bundle, and exposed my services with SOAP just only adding a line in my component definition. Maybe this way is easier for beginners, instead activating or deactivating the ECF bundles they require for each provider.

Perhaps it is easier for some beginners. We would like to make it as easy as possible for as many beginners (and non-beginners) as we can. That's why I would ask that you express this need as a comment on either 409787...or open a new bug/enhancement specifically for creating a single-bundle distribution (of remote services, presumably).

Well, I guess it only saves time because it does not need a .product to launch the examples (therefore you are not tied to Eclipse, but well, this is a Eclipse project :P ).

It's true this is an Eclipse project...but that doesn't mean that we are tied to Eclipse.

ECF has a number of significant 'parts/APIs'...some that are meant as Eclipse add ons (e.g. cola/docshare), and others that are completely independent of Eclipse (e.g. OSGi remote services). Remote services, for example, is not tied to Equinox either (EF's OSGI framework implementation project). This means that ECF's remote services can/does run on Felix and other OSGi frameworks. That's the way it is currently, and that's the way it will remain...primarily because we are (closely) following the standardization of remote services/RSA with our implementation (our impl is completely compliant with the spec...and passes the R5 compatibility test suite).

The main purpose behind bug 409787 and (e.g.) [1] is to make it easier to install, run, test, learn, build own remote services, integrate, deploy on both non-Eclipse and non-Equinox environments. IMHO, OSGI-based frameworks (like ECF, CXF, DS impls, others, etc) currently all suffer from the current state of OSGI wrt provisioning and tooling. Unfortunately, I don't feel that ECF can address all those problems alone.

Rather, we are trying to meet the needs of the community as much as possible...by providing multiple types of distribution formats, reorganizing features so consumption is easier, creating examples/tutorials, etc. The challenge...IMHO...is meeting as many needs as possible...when there is little or no consistency/agreement...even at the level of 'philosophy'...as you say...for things like OSGi provisioning (there, I said it :).

So...I urge you...if you want a single bundle distribution of parts of ECF then please open an enhancement, describe your use case, present details (as you know them) and consider contributing to making it happen. It will not be ignored...even if ECF is an EF project.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top