[ecf-dev] ECF git repo cleanup

During today's con call we have discussed the matter of cleaning up the
ECF git repository (org.eclipse.org) which has accumulated at lot of
weight over the last couple of years. Most of this weight now adds
considerably to complexity of contributing to ECF (e.g. due to
outdated/broken code). Thus, the idea is to remove broken and/or
unmaintained code from the git repository and also stop building it (to
further simplify our build).

Bug #424259 [1] holds a list of all projects currently in
org.eclipse.ecf and my suggestion is that consumers and contributors
alike declare interest on the various subparts if they want them to be
carried forward. Everything that hasn't been mentioned by e.g. end of
2013 is then simply deleted from git.

Keep in mind though, that previous releases won't go away and that it
doesn't make a difference if you consumer a bundle from ECF 3.7 or ECF
4.x if the source hasn't changed anyway.

M.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/424259

Back to the top