Re: [ecf-dev] New tutorial: Creating your first OSGi Remote Service

Hey Markus,

On 12/7/2013 12:06 AM, Markus Alexander Kuppe wrote:
<stuff deleted>

content-wise: - the less configuration, the better. Thus, lets remove the ECF specific properties from the service registration or move it into an advanced section.

Ok, I've removed it. I would like to have other, more advanced tutorials, so we can describe discovery and distribution provider configuration in those. Perhaps there should be another tutorial just for configuration...even separate ones for discovery and distribution perhaps.

- Using LAN based discovery has its pitfalls (segmented subnets...). For tutorials we could by default use ZooServer running on disco.ecf-project.org and move LAN based Disco to an advanced section. ZooServer though has the disadvantage that it requires an additional property to be set (hostname of ZooServer).

Yes. I don't care that much which discovery is used...although for this tutorial (first OSGi remote service), I wanted to have no configuration at all necessary just to do localhost/LAN-based usage.

- Launch configs are so Eclipse/PDE specific. To better integrate with e.g. bndtools we might wanna abstract away launch configs. Being specific is important for a good tutorial though.

Yeah. I don't particularly like launch configs either...but bnd/bndtools is currently a whole lot of other install, config, tooling differences...that would increase the complexity of this tutorial significantly, IMHO (e.g. tool-specific meta-data...bnd.bnd, etc). I would rather not have this tutorial turn into 'how to use bndtools to create and run a simple example'...and I don't see how to avoid that currently.

I agree that we have to do something to help with the tooling issues involved in developing and testing OSGi bundles. Unfortunately, I think this is one of OSGi Remote Service's (not just ECF) biggest problems WRT understanding and adoption...and I/we are somewhat limited in what we can directly do about it. I'm open to suggestions.

Scott

Back to the top