Re: [ecf-dev] ECF ChatClient

On 10/18/2013 07:38 PM, Wim Jongman wrote:
> Markus, while implementing the chat server, I discovered that the Discovery
> server is unable to consume remote services itself. In other words, if a
> client publishes a remote service, it is not proxied into the Discovery
> Server.
>
> To make it work we would need another server to host the chat server. Since
> we already have a working discovery server I was thinking to remove the
> discovery server part from our server.

Hi Wim,

sorry Wim, I haven't had a chance to look into the server part yet
(returning from a week long training).

Can you shortly outline what the server is (supposed to be) doing and
what the above means?

M.

PS: org.eclipse.ecf.example.chat.model.IChatServer.getMessages(Long)
requires a timestamp. This is kind of fuzzy as the clocks of the nodes
are not synchronized and never can be in a distributed system? Why not
use a simpler message counter at the server that enumerates the chat
messages? Semantically it would change the getMessage's javadoc comment
from "Get the messages since the passed time." to "Get the messages
since message N."

PPS:
org.eclipse.ecf.example.chat.server.core.internal.ChatServer.notifyListeners(Long)'s
job seems to turn a List into a Set. It suprisingly also calls
org.eclipse.ecf.example.chat.server.core.internal.ChatServer.doBackGroundNotify(ArrayList<IChatServerListener>,
Long) as part of the for loop.

Back to the top