Re: [ecf-dev] Luna comitment

Hi,

speaking as an integrator of ECF, we would possibly end up removing ECF dependencies from Mylyn if ECF didn't ship as part of the release train. Consuming non release train repositories adds more overhead when managing our targets and trying to match project releases to Eclipse releases can be quite time consuming. We also couldn't include ECF based functionality in the release train repository then.

The same problem arises for users who'd have to figure out which ECF repository to add when installing Mylyn.

This can all be simplified by having ECF bits in the release train. In that spirit, I hope the ECF project continues to participate to make it easy for integrators and users to consume ECF.

Steffen

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/09/2013 07:57 PM, Scott Lewis wrote:
> I would like to have a public discussion about whether ECF will
> participate in the Luna release.  We soon have to publicly submit our
> intention to participate or not, and although my inclination is 'yes', I
> would like to have a community discussion about this, because I may not
> have the personal resources to do all the necessary work, and it so it
> does/will require work from many if not all the existing committers
> (e.g. review materials, release engineering, as well as
> code/development/test/docs contributions, etc).
>
> Question:  Should ECF participate in Luna next year?
> Corollary (for existing committers at least):  Are you able and willing
> to commit some time to ECF work to help meet the project deadlines?

Do we have any (empirical) data that ECF benefits from participating in
a release train? My gut feeling is that our consumers usually do not
need/use an ECF release that is synced with the rest of the release train.

M.