Re: [ecf-dev] Announcement: ECF 3.6.1 standards compliance

Great work guys.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Some of you may have been aware that in April ECF had gotten access to the OSGi R5 'compatibility kit' (CT) via the Eclipse Foundation.   The CT is a set of junit tests to test compliance with the OSGi R5 specification.  For some time now (back to OSGi 4.2) ECF has implemented the remote services (RS) and remote service admin (RSA) parts of the specification.  Here [1] is a list of the specification parts implemented by the EF runtime projects, and here [2] is a list of all OSGi spec impls at wikipedia.   Since receiving the CT from OSGi, I and Markus have been working to setup the CT configuration and make necessary fixes so that ECF passes all of the CT tests.

I'm happy to report that as of ECF 3.6.1/Kepler we are successfully passing all of the CT tests and therefore can/will assert specification compliance.

This is a nice achievement for ECF, and happily it corresponds with our 3.6.1/Kepler release.   I will be adding this info to our 3.6.1 new and noteworthy, and blogging about it before the Kepler release date (June 26).   Hopefully others will find this helpful/useful as well..because it  means that remote services can now be designed/created/discovered/used/secured and managed without permanently binding applications to specific transports.

As an added benefit :-)...we've created a Jenkins project that continuously runs the RS/RSA CT tests against ECF's implementation. As we make additions/changes to ECF (e.g. new discovery and distributions providers, etc) we will be able to automatically verify that everything remains CT compliant.

Special thanks to Markus K.

Congratulations, thanks, and continued happy Remote Services development with ECF!

Scott

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/RT/OSGi_Certification
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSGi_Specification_Implementations