Re: [ecf-dev] new stuff?

Hi All,

On 17 October 2012 11:58, Harshana Eranga Martin <harshana05@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Scott,

On 17 October 2012 02:16, Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been exceptionally busy professionally over the past few months, and so have not been able to do the necessary pushing associated with moving ECF forward...my apologies to the community for that temporary lapse.

However, tomorrow is another day...and there are a number of things that I would like to see in the next version of ECF (whenever that will be...TBD by all of us).  Further, I expect that others have ideas about their desires...either for new features, fixes, examples, test infrastructure, etc.   I encourage all of you to be very vocal about what you want...and we will do everything we can to address your desires.  We are somewhat limited in our resources, however, so please bear that in mind (and/or offer to help implement/fix/document/etc!).

I'm going to start the online conversation about what should be pursued/addressed in the next release (I'm thinking a minor release...i.e. 3.6.0) by listing some of the things that I would like to see in the next release:

1) The contributions from Tishan (on the Salvo Newsreader) and Jasintha (remote services testing) from their recently completed Google SOC projects.

+1

Will coordinate with them to get the contributions to the ECF.

2) Support for SSL for ECF generic provider [2]
3) More/better documentation [3]
4) Test for regression and have Equinox/p2 use (in Kepler) the newly added Apache httpclient 4-based filetransfer provider [4]
5) Resolutions/closing for as many bugs as possible [5]
6) More/alternative distributions (p2 repos) for ECF (e.g. p2 repo/plugins targeted to server-side...and/or virgo)
7) New/more examples for Restlet-based provider, and perhaps a build/p2 repo to build/deploy Restlet provider (for remote services) [7]
8) New rs providers?  (e.g. one based upon other rest frameworks...e.g. Jersey, cxf, etc).
9) New/improved discovery providers?
10) More apps/examples for OSGi remote services.

This is just my initial list...meant primarily to stimulate your thinking.   If you have ideas/thoughts on your own, please respond to this email and provide them!  We want to hear from you!

As we discussed in our last conf call, I started moving the Salvo: News Reader toward Tycho based Maven build.

My fork is in https://github.com/harshana05/Newsreader . Still the effort is far from complete but good news is that It works in my machine well and will commit the rest of it quickly.

You can get the checkout and build the org.eclipse.ecf.salvo.newsreader.parent project in the plugins to build the required set of plugins.

Thanks and Regards,
Harshana

--
Harshana Eranga Martin