Re: [ecf-dev] Maven repository for ecf httpclient artifacts

Hi Harshana,

I'd like to participate in that new builld configuration.
I have seen some video on Tycho , but no links on the current work.

Do you know where I can find the current state of it ?

Thanks

--
Pierre

2012/5/18 Harshana Eranga Martin <harshana05@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi Markus et al,

On 10 May 2012 19:10, Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/10/2012 01:49 PM, Harshana Eranga Martin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Time to move to Tycho?
>
> I have a good experience with Tycho. Shall I try moving the source to it?

Hi Harshana,

no harm in trying, but can you elaborate what it is you are trying to
accomplish?

Currently we use Buckminster tool to build our source code.

Bucky is obviously a great tool and it is PDE aware. But it is not Maven aware and it is quite complex tool to use. Since Bucky is not Maven aware, by default it does not generate Maven artifacts from a build and we have to use some other mechanisms to get it done. So the build automation process with Bucky is actually broken.

Ideally the build should produce both P2 repo to use in the Eclipse/OSGi world and Maven repo for the build to use with 3rd party builds. This is one of the major problem we face with eclipse artifacts everyday. We have Equinox based tools developed and we use Maven to build these systems. But the build is not working smoothly because the PDE builders does not produce Maven artifacts and most of the time we end up adding these eclipse artifacts in to our Maven repos wrapped with minimal poms.

Therefore IMHO it is important to have P2 artifacts exposed as Maven artifacts to allow easy adoption of Eclipse technologies.

And Tycho is there to do exactly these things. It is PDE aware as well as capable of producing Maven artifacts out of P2 artifacts. Therefore when we build the source code wthout any extra effort or step, it produce both P2 repos and Maven repo. So Tycho allows us to get the better of both P2 world and Maven world.

Migration effort to Tycho is also minimal since it supports Manifest based build. So all we have to do is add the poms to modules and create the correct parent child relationship among these modules.

With that we can nicely automate the nightly build process with integration tests, etc as well.

WDYT?

Thanks and Regards,
Harshana

Markus