[ecf-dev] optional dependencies

Hi Folks,

Part of participating in the Juno simultaneous release is satisfying all of the release requirements...specifically [1]. One of the requirements (described under 'Provide optimized p2 repository' in [1]), is that repositories must produce greedy='false' by default. There's more detail on this specific requirement here [2].

The upshot is that we have a bundle (i.e. org.eclipse.ecf.provider.irc) that uses 'resolution:=optional' and curre==ntly we seem to be generating the old default of 'greedy=true'. I'm not sure whether this is because

a) we want want it this way...i.e. we want the dependencies to be greedily resolved for these optional deps (manifest below) b) this is because we are using the old default for p2 (i.e. the default prior to 3.8M1 I think)

So that's my question to folks out there...I *think* that it was Remy who added this optional dependency...so I'm going to forward it directly to him. And I think Markus or Wim should know about 'b' (it's my understanding that even with resolution optional that the p2 publisher default is to create greedy='false' with resolution='optional'...and that that's a change in the publisher behavior from 3.7.*

Thanks for the help.

Scott

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/SimRel/Simultaneous_Release_Requirements
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Publisher#BundlesAction

relevant part of manifest for org.eclipse.ecf.provider.irc:

Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.common,
 org.eclipse.ecf,
 org.eclipse.ecf.presence,
 org.eclipse.ecf.datashare;resolution:=optional,
 org.eclipse.ecf.provider.datashare.nio;resolution:=optional

Back to the top