Re: [ecf-dev] Actionist re-use

Hi Wim,

So I'm going to summarize...please correct me if I'm inaccurate

First, the class in question is:  org.eclipse.ecf.internal.ui.actions.SelectProviderAction  right?

You would like to be able to use it in presence ui plugin, and possibly elsewhere, right?

>Is it not ok for ECF to use it's own internals?

As you know, the internal designation is at a bundle level, and since ECF has several ui bundles...they don't get unfettered access to each other's internal packages.   It is possible to setup 'special relationships' between bundles (e.g. x-friends), to provide such access...but I'm not sure whether this is the right choice for this particular class.

I believe that Remy Suen was the author of SelectProviderAction...and I see a note at the top of the class that says

// TODO, we should rework this class... it's confusing >_<

...so perhaps that's why it was made internal originally...but I'm not certain.

I guess what would be best is if we get Remy's input on this class...whether he thinks it should be improved and made into API, or changed and made into API, or left the same and used via x-friends (which is less desirable in my view).

And just to be clear...as far as I'm concerned we can take any strategy necessary here...although if we create new API we'll need a minor release to distribute.

Thanks,

Scott