Re: [ecf-dev] Git commit messages

Hi Alex,

On 6/22/2011 8:36 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:
On 22 Jun 2011, at 15:44, Wim Jongman<wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

The problem is that you don't exactly know when the change is done and therefore have to type the same message over and over again in multiple commits.
The time when you know it's done is at the end. So only type the detailed message in there.

For other work in progress messages you can either leave the message blank or trivial and do "commit amends" to update the commit as you go, or do a rebase/squash to condense them down into a single message prior to pushing to the remote repository.

The issue isn't that every commit needs a detailed message, but that commits pushed to the remote repo do need them. Much like you would do a bunch of work and then attach a patch in bugzilla - the interim work needn't be of high quality but the patch submitted should be (and have more detail than "fixes bug")

Although I have no process-level disagreement with your suggestions, and I know that they are well intentioned and appropriate...the main difficulty that I (and probably some others) have with doing more for checkin messages is my own time/resources (since it's all currently volunteer...from me, at least).

I'm doing what I can to spread my own efforts as effectively as possible on bug fixing, new features, project marketing/promotion, development, documentation, planning, release engineering, project lead/management/coordination, mentoring contributors and committers, online support, feeding the Eclipse Development Process and the Project Management Committee, and as many other things as possible...but my own resources are unfortunately limited...and so this occasionally (or maybe even frequently :), shows up as short checkin messages (albeit with links to bugs)...as well as less documentation than anyone wants, less project and release promotion than anyone wants, less support than anyone wants, less functionality than anyone wants, and etc.

For my own limitations in that regard...you all have my sincere apologies...but given these economic times, and my own need to support my family (sadly not currently by working on ECF)...I'm doing as much as I can currently muster on my own dime.

If there is a way to automate some of the conventions you suggest then by all means let's do so. If the cost of doing something can be made lower, then of course it makes it much easier for me and others to do. And I will continue to do all that I can in accord with these suggestions.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top