Re: [ecf-dev] Tycho?

On 06/15/2011 03:31 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> Tycho allows you to be able to check out and build a project locally on
> your machine, instead of having to do things with a remote server, as
> Doug said in his recent blog post on the subject
> (http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com/2011/06/build-for-all.html). Basically,
> with Maven/Tycho, you can continue to develop the code in PDE as you're
> used to, but you can then individually build plugins (as well as
> 'everything') which makes it easy for those wanting to test ECF outside
> of an IDE.
>
> I'm starting to see more Eclipse projects move on from a standard PDE
> build onto Tycho, and from there, others (like Buckminster) as well. The
> fact that it fits in with many existing experiences of using Maven
> (checkout, maven clean package) means there's very little that needs to
> be available (other than Maven) to get going.
>
> Does it add anything that Buckminster currently doesn't? Well, probably
> not. But then, how many people build the full ECF outside of the Jenkins
> server at the moment?

The only difference between Buckminster and Tycho is how the command
line looks like. They both resolve external dependencies, build and
package bundles and execute tests. Having set up both a Buckminster and
a Tycho build, I don't see a missing feature in Buckminster.

Markus

P.S: And Bucky comes with documentation in form of a book.

Back to the top