Re: [ecf-dev] [Salvo] Posting articles from Salvo and Thunderbird

Hi Isuru,

On 28 May 2011 15:20, Isuru Udana <isudana@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@lemmster.de> wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 11:25 AM, Isuru Udana wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When we post a article using Salvo, in the Eclipse forum always displays
>> "Eclipse User" as the sender.
>> (see example [1])
>>
>> But when I use Thunderbird, It shows the sender is "Isuru Udana" which
>> is my bugzilla user account.
>> (see example [2])
>>
>> For thunderbird I enter only name and the email address as my identity.
>> It doesn't ask for a user name and a password.
>> For Salvo I enter name, email, userId (exquisitus) and password.
>>
>> So how can eclipse forum correctly link my post from thunderbird to my
>> bugzilla account. I think It may using the email address for identification.
>> And why it display "Eclipse User" as the sender when I use Salvo.
>>
>> Since anyone can post to forum with other users identity, there is a
>> security problem here.
>>
>> [1] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/210245/
>>
>> [2] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/210304/
>>

> Have you checked what headers get set on a newsgroup post by
> Thunderbird? Compare them to the ones set by Salvo.

I compared the sources of two messages.

For the From field,
In Salvo sender is indicated as isudana@xxxxxxxxx (Isuru Udana)
In thunderbird sender is indicated as Isuru Udana <isudana@xxxxxxxxx>

Can this be the issue here ?

It seems to be a issue in  Salvo. According to the NNTP Protocol, T/B packet is the correct one [3]. See examples in 6.3.1.3 section.

[3]. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3977#section-6.3.1

Thanks and Regards,
Harshana Martin

> Markus