Re: [ecf-dev] Changing the timeout configuration in ECF IRC provider Implementation

Hi Scott,

On 6 October 2010 00:03, Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Hi Harshana,

On 10/5/2010 10:23 AM, Harshana Eranga Martin wrote:
Hi All,

Can we do it? Is there any place to configure the timeout period in the current Implementation? If not I would like to do this asap :)

The current IRC provider implementation doesn't support setting the connection timeout.  However, it would/could easily be added.  The way to do it would be to add some notion of timeout to the implementation of org.eclipse.ecf.internal.provider.irc.container.IRCRootContainer.connect(ID, IConnectContext).

The current implementation of this method creates an IRCConnection (from IRClib library), but does *not* call IRCConnection.setTimeout(timeout).  It could easily be enhanced to do so...for example on approx line 170 call connection.setTimeout(timeout).  Of course if this is done then some means to specify the desired timeout (e.g. upon creation of the container, etc) should be added as well.  Note there is also a connect timeout...I'm not sure if you wish to customize that as well (see org.eclipse.ecf.internal.provider.irc.container.IRCChannelContainer.CONNECT_TIMEOUT).

In any case, please open an enhancement request for this...and if you would like to add this functionality yourself Harshana then please assign the new bug to yourself and go ahead and make the additions.  I won't be able to immediately work on it myself, unfortunately.

I have incorporated the same change to IRCRootContainer as well. Meanwhile I increased the default timeout to 60s since I found several IRC servers which takes more than 30s to respond. Code committed to the master after running a smoke tests.

Thanks and Regards,
Harshana

Scott

Thanks and Regards,