Re: [ecf-dev] How to consume HelloWorld remote OSGI Samples in eclipse platform

Hi Harshana,

On 4/21/2011 9:36 PM, Harshana Eranga Martin wrote:
<stuff deleted>

Pradeep has tried this on Equinox.

 I've never seen it on Equinox.  Should it be considered a framework bug?

Is there something we can do...with the examples or RSA...to prevent this?

I think we should mention this in the user guide for samples. For example, if we are trying a sample, what set of bundles to be started and  their prerequisites. That will certainly help new comers to ECF IMHO.

I agree about adding this to the 'Running the Example Hello Service Host' section of the appropriate wiki page [1].  Would you (Harshana) be able to add this info for one combination of discovery and distribution providers?

Note that the product configurations that are referenced in that section already have the necessary bundle autostart  and startlevel information in them (in the configuration section of the product config)...and this could be copied from a given product config and put into the example docs.

But separate from the issue of more documentation on running/starting the examples......I don't understand why it's necessary...under any conditions...to explicitly start the org.eclipse.ecf.examples.remoteservices.hello bundle.  It seems to me that it should be started upon attempt to load any of its interface classes (e.g. IHello)...and in fact this is what happens when I run/start the hello examples on Equinox.   I would like to try to figure out why it's necessary to start this bundle explicitly under some conditions...and if possible fix any underlying issues (in ECF or Equinox or Felix or ...)

So...Pradeep or Harshana and/or others...would you please describe the conditions (in terms of the framework, the way the framework is started, what bundle state things are in, etc), that lead to being able to reproduce the bundle state exception that Pradeep reported?  It would be much appreciated...and hopefully by doing this we can completely avoid this issue in the future.

Thanks,

Scott

[1]  http://wiki.eclipse.org/EIG:Getting_Started_with_OSGi_Remote_Services#Running_the_Example_Hello_Service_Host
(I would suggest putting in a new page with a link on the above page...to give detailed information about bundle autostart/start levels, use of Felix, etc).

Thanks and Regards,
Harshana

Thanks,

Scott