Re: [ecf-dev] Using ECF for server side

Hi Ronen,

On 3/17/2011 5:49 AM, ronen hamias wrote:
Hi all
is it possible to use ECF at the server side?

Yes, it is...at least for most of ECF. ECF consists of a number of APIs [1] most of which are useful in either server and/or client contexts. We also have several example applications, some of which are meant to run in Eclipse and so have dependencies that do not exist in server environments.

ECF's impl of OSGi remote services/remote service admin[1a] is fully usable in server environments.

for example embbeding ECF at tomcat?

Yes. ECF is runtime dependent upon some OSGi framework, so to run under tomcat it's necessary to either use the Equinox servletbridge [2], or use some other OSGi framework. Note although we develop primarily with Equinox, we've now got a distribution that deploys and works on Felix [3]. We would like to test on other frameworks as well.

Thanks,

Scott

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF/API_Docs
[1a] http://eclipseecf.blogspot.com/2011/03/ecf-35-remote-services-admin.html