Re: [ecf-dev] Smack lib update for XMPP provider ?

We already build heavily on Smack API. Next to messaging, roster and presence functionality there are several low level XMPP/Smack accesses (File transfer fallbacks, handle difficult network scenarios, ServiceDiscovery, Jingle, Smack Debug, ...) we use.

Our main goal was to be able to get rid of parts of our network code without loosing established features. ECF provides great APIs but those serving our current needs often encapsulates the Smack API calls we already use (like the XMPPContainerAccountManager wrapping the smack.AccountManager).

So our network code would often shift from accessing Smack to ECF, but the abstraction wouldn't rise so much that we could outsource parts of our network code. So the task of a network port to ECF didnt got the votes.

Still there are advantages of using ECF - that also Scott mentioned - we dont want to deny ourselves. So its in discussion to - if not port the main network communication now - but to use ECF as base for future functionality (use other ECF APIs, OSGi remote services, Cola) and to keep the portal to you networking and collaboration experts.

So the focus is changing and being adjusted.

Björn