[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Re: [ecf-dev] Smack lib update for XMPP provider ?

Hello Scott,

on 09.02.2011 16:28, Scott Lewis wrote:
Hi Bjorn,

On 2/9/2011 2:14 AM, Björn Gustavs wrote:
So before we persue changing/fixing our copy of the Smack lib
directly, let's explore getting these fixes accepted upstream by Jive
(I can help with this if you like Bjorn...as I know Matt
Tucker...their CTO...and they are based here in Portland, OR).

If that doesn't work out for whatever reason, then we'll explore
applying your fixes to the version of our source we have.

Mmm, seems this effort becomes easy. I noticed there is actually coming _Smack 3.2_ soon - a beta is available since 2 days. And as far as I see the patches I am talking about are in there.

Ok that sounds good. It would be good to verify that your changes/patches are actually in Smack 3.2. Could you provide a URL reference for Smack 3.2 here on this forum?

As our Smack Master confirmed, his patched are in the coming release. Its nice, not just for us, but for any XMPP-provider user since the fixes in 3.2 are quite extensive.

Independent of that: our plans to switch to ECF are on hold. After examining and analyzing the task it became clear, that we wouldn't get the advantages we planned by switching.
Although ECF wont be out of our scope.

Magnificent, after 2 years there is movement. =)

So, no need for inofficial patching seems required.

Even with Smack 3.2 there are two further things for ECF to consume/use it:

1) If there have been Smack API changes, there may have to be some
associated changes in the ECF xmpp provider (I don't know whether there
have been changes in Smack API that would require such changes, but in
past Smack version changes this has been necessary).  Someone would have
to implement/contribute such changes.

We use Smack quite extensively and only minor adaption were required to work with the Smack 3.2 beta.
Just as a sign of hope that Smack 3.2 is no big redesign of the API.

2) At some point after Smack 3.2 release, we will have to submit an
Eclipse Foundation contribution questionnaire...for IP review, etc of
the Smack 3.2 code...if we want to include the Smack 3.2 version in ECF
3.6.  You and I should coordinate on that...after Smack 3.2 is actually
available...and after you (or someone) has had a chance to examine
it...to verify that it solves your issues, and for whether 1 will
require some changes to the ECF xmpp provider.

I'll work with you on both of these things as necessary...just keep the
lines of communication open.


Regards, Björn