[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[ecf-dev] Smack lib update for XMPP provider ?
- From: Björn Gustavs <bjoern.gustavs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 00:26:55 +0100
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20101207 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7
in the current analysis phase of how ECF could be used for Saros
(collaboration plugin for Eclipse (http://www.saros-project.org)),
we are looking at the Smack API used in the XMPP provider.
Gladly you are using the latest release - unfortunately Smack isnt
Due to several bugs and incomplete extension implementations, Smack was
improved as task of a diploma theses last year.
The improvements (besides bugfixes) are focused in
- Socks5 Bytestream Protocol (more XEP conform, support of dynamic sized
streams, more configurations for the proxy, ...)
- In Band Bytestream Implementation (made fully compatible to XEP 0047,
bidirectional data exchange, ...)
(more detailed information is available in German in the thesis paper
The thing is now, if using ECF, we cant loose these improvements,
because even using ECF we would - for a number of things - use the
exposed XMPPConnection for Smack calls.
I considered creating a separate XMPP provider using this updated Smack
lib - but that is no optimum.
Another way and the question of this email is:
Would the ECF project consider to absorb these changes - the customized
Smack lib - in a way? And if so, in which way?
Thanks for "listening",