Re: [ecf-dev] Speed of the different discovery providers

On 01/28/2011 03:36 PM, ahmed.aadel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I think the notion of unicast/multicast is irrelevant in zooDiscovery
> context.  A client doesn't connect to a server to,first hand,  get
> registered services on one of its nodes. A client connection in
> zooDiscovery context is a registration as a node listener so that this
> client gets called back by the server itself every time there a change
> (in our case, a service un/registration). So, it's not one re/connection
> per discovery intent, This implies the work-load is on the server itself
> notifying in a serialized manner its clients/listeners of all occurring
> changes. That work-load also depends on how many servers you are
> deploying (specified by which configuration flavor).

With unicast you have to send out n messages (e.g. for each event call
back) for n clients. With multicast, it's always just a single message
irregardless of how many clients you have. So depending on the use case,
this might be a factor that one has to take into account when choosing a
discovery provider. E.g. a mesh network has rather different speed
characteristics as a wired lan.
Fortunately ECF's discovery API allows one to make this decision at
deployment rather than development time. :-)

Markus

Back to the top