Re: [ecf-dev] Is ECF Discovery Service necessary when using RemoteServices

Thank you for the quick reply!

> On Behalf Of Markus Alexander Kuppe
> Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:24 PM
>
> On 01/14/2011 12:15 PM, Bartosz Czerwiński wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I’m the begginer in ECF so please be understanding if my questions are
> > too simple J
> >
> > I analyzed ECF Remote Services hello world examples available at ECF
> repository. I was thinking if usage of Discovery Service is necessary. Is it
> possible to access remote service registered in container without that? I
> implemented host and consumer services which are not using discovery
> service and I’ve got following error.
> >

> > [log;+0100 2011.01.14
> > 11:54:44:868;INFO;org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.services.discovery;org.eclipse.
> > core.runtime.Status[plugin=org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.services.discovery;cod
> > e=1;message=handleServicePublication:ignoring
> > {org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.services.discovery.ServicePublication}={osgi.rem
> > ote.discovery.publication.service.properties={},
> > ecf.rsvc.ns=ecf.namespace.r_osgi.remoteservice,
> > osgi.remote.service.interfaces=[org.stockservice.IStockService],
> > ecf.rsvc.id=[53,52], ecf.sp.ect=[ecf.r_osgi.peer],
> > ecf.sp.cid=r-osgi://10.212.213.2:9278, service.id=55}. No
> > IDiscoveryAdvertiser available to handle this
> > publication;severity1;exception=null;children=[]]]
>
> Hi,
>
> discovery is not a hard requirement for remote services. But without it, you'll
> have to figure out a way to tell the server consumer where to find the
> service provider.
Let's say that the location of the service (protocol, IP address and port) is fixed. I registered service on the host side and tried to access it on the consumer side using ServiceTracker. Unfortunately it does not work. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Could sb provide an example of accessing remote service without discovery?

> What's making you want to go without discovery?
I was wondering if this would be possible, because I just wanted to use fixed service locations.