Re: [ecf-dev] Future of wave

Hi ECFers,

On 11/25/2010 11:12 AM, Sebastian Schmidt wrote:
>[...]
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1) Perhaps we/ECF should have a committer (or several) on the Apache Wave
>> project?  e.g. Sebastian, Mustafa, others.

Reading up on their wiki what their plans are and what the process to
become a committer there looks like ... now-ish.

> [Sebastian:] Interesting thought. I should become an Eclipse ECF committer first though :-)

Definitely, +1!

> I had a long discussion with Mustafa today and we'll propose some
> ideas to promote and advance the wave related work.

While ping-ponging ideas back and forth with Sebastian in a two hour
session late yesterday afternoon, we've come up with a
project/application utilizing an optimistic concurrency control
protocol (in our case Wave) with a scope beyond real-time shared
editing. This is what we've been needing ever since Cola, an
interesting application scenario different from text editing to ensure
that our APIs for concurrency control for shared state in a real-time
environment in a high-latency network are stable, extendable,
orthogonal and lend themselves for wide applicability. I'm willing to
put more time into this. This is exciting.

Here's a teaser photo ;) http://moo.mx/interstellar-thermonuclear-war

> Both of us will
> invest additional time to get everything running for ECF 3.5. After
> sorting out additional details we'll discuss the ideas with the list
> over the next couple of days.

We'll put together a short summary and might submit this as a proposal
for an EclipseCon talk as well.

Cheers,

Mustafa

--