Re: [ecf-dev] ISharedObjectObjectContainer problem client side - SharedObjects not found

Hi Robert,

On 11/1/2010 1:48 AM, Robert Onslow wrote:
<stuff deleted>
I have also successfully advertised the info representing the server
sharedobjectcontainer using the IDiscoveryAdvertiser

On the client side, I have successfully found the info using
IDiscoveryLocator, created a client ecf container and connected it to
the server

I have received an IContainerConnectedEvent in IContainerListener.handleEvent

However, when I query the IDs of the services within the shared object
container, I find an empty array:

//this is fine
ISharedObjectContainer soc = (ISharedObjectContainer) ((IAdaptable)
container).getAdapter(ISharedObjectContainer.class);

//yup, picks up the manager OK

ISharedObjectManager manager = soc.getSharedObjectManager();

//oh dear, I find ids is an empty array

ID[] ids = manager.getSharedObjectIDs();

Am I missing a step here?

Not necessarily.  A couple of questions:

1) Where/when do you create/add the shared object within the client container? Do you do so within your own code? 2) If not, is it your intention/desire that the shared object would be added at connect time?...i.e. by the server replicating the shared object to the client?

2 is quite possible...and I can describe how to do it easily enough...but I first want to understand what you are intending to have happen on the client...are you expecting to have the shared object replicated into the client (when connected to the server), or are you expecting to explicitly create and add the shared object on the client (as well as on the server)? Both are quite possible/doable...the current eventadmin example creates and adds the shared object on the client (as well as the server), explicitly in application-level code (partially just to be more explicit).

So please let us know what your intention/desire is for the client replica of the shared object, and we'll figure it out.

Robert

ps thanks for a fantastic framework.

Thank you for the pleasant words. It is appreciated. If you feel comfortable doing so, blogging about your usage of ECF would be most helpful also.

ECF does not have any marketing resources of it's own, and IMHO EF marketing is worse than useless when it comes to doing anything for volunteer-based projects like ECF...so crowd sourcing is the best way to get the word out for us...

Anyway...thanks.

Scott

Back to the top