Re: [ecf-dev] git move ASAP - helpwanted - New repo at http://git.eclipse.org/c/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.git/

Hi Pavel,

For the build process there is no real difference. Fetching from CVS or from GIT is irrelevant to Buckminster. However, when we create a build in Hudson with Buckminster, we need some configuration. If we need to fetch this bundle from CVS and that bundle from GIT, it gets confusing. This is specified in the Buckminster rmap file. We need an rmap file that is small and clean.

We have decided to move to git while ago but have been postponing the switch-over for various good reasons. However, the result was that some parts of ECF were maintained in git and the most in CVS. This situation was becoming more and more annoying because we (Markus) was asked to fix a number of CVS related problems in the build. This was not good so it was decided to move to git _now_.

There are various reasons to move to git. Some of which are discussed here [1]

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ecf-dev/msg03855.html

Regards,

Wim

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Pavel Samolisov <samolisov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fetching from multiple repos into one build is supported by buckminster.

What different is fetching from CVS or fetching from git repos? This isis
branches support or what? I do not have somthing against moving to Git,
I just try understand build process.

Pavel Samolisov, ECF committer
From soviet Russia with love!

Blog: http://samolisov.blogspot.com