Re: [ecf-dev] JMS build

 Hi Markus,

On 10/1/2010 11:56 PM, Markus Alexander Kuppe wrote:
<stuff deleted>
And...I think that the depending upon requires info in features to
create the target platform makes for an undesirably brittle
build...because bundles that are statically in the target platform (e.g.
ECF sdk, or ECF remote services) may be easily and/or appropriately
*not* in the feature.xml.
I do not agree that this creates a brittle build. The metadata has to be
somewhere, either in a TP or in the feature metadata.

Yes I agree it has to go somewhere. The only thing I would add to this is that dependencies can also be 'assumed' to be present...by being in the target platform.

I think the only difference between us on this is that I think having the metadata be in feature.xml creates a potential stability problem with multi-person development...because

1) feature.xml is likely to be changed relatively frequently (at least compared to either cspex or a target platform) 2) having meta-data in multiple places (e.g. in feature.xml *and* cspex...e.g. for optional deps) is confusing and so also could lead to stability problems

But 'stability problems' is admittedly just a guess about peoples behavior in the future...which is why we disagree about stability problems I would guess ;-).

<stuff deleted>

The build has been fixed [0] by adding a buckminster.cpsex.

Thanks. I'm not married to using the target platform...and so having it be in buckminster.cspex is OK with me...particularly if it makes you happy Markus :). But I do think that there are cases where having non-Eclipse things in the target platform for a build can make sense...e.g. using/depending upon distinct other frameworks, for example....perhaps where source is not available or a distinct/released version is required. I'm pretty sure that Buckminster can create a target platform flexibly at build time...I just don't know how that can be done. If there are docs and/or examples in our own build please let me know.

Again, thanks.

Scott

Back to the top