Re: [ecf-dev] JMS build

Hi Wim,

On 10/1/2010 1:18 PM, Wim Jongman wrote:
Requires and Includes are two separate things, however one could expect that without required features things will also fail to compile. Why else would one require another feature.

Yes, I understand that this the typical case (requires in features being same as target platform)...but you are also right that they are distinct things...that is, the required plugins in feature.xml end up being in the p2 metadata...and that's why I don't really want to have the requires be used to set the target platform for compile/build.   An example of why this doesn't work very well for edge cases is optional bundle dependencies...they shouldn't be in requires (for target platform), but they *do* need to be present for the compiler.

And...I think that the depending upon requires info in features to create the target platform makes for an undesirably brittle build...because bundles that are statically in the target platform (e.g. ECF sdk, or ECF remote services) may be easily and/or appropriately *not* in the feature.xml.

So in any event...I just would like to have the target platform (for build) be defined separately than via contents of feature.xml requires.

Scott