Re: [ecf-dev] Restructured/cleaned git repo (was Re: ECF non-EPL code moved to github)

On 07/16/2010 08:10 AM, Pierre Henry Perret wrote:

Hi Pierre,

> I have used git plugin for Eclipse - EGit -
>
> I have noticed two ways for sharing a project:
>
>  - Commit
>  - Push
>
> I think commit is the 'classic' way and prefered trying Push, so after
> creating a local repo based on project ,

commit and push are quite different. A commit adds new or changed files
in your working set into your repository and creates a new revision.
push OTOH sends one or more commits from your repo to another one. The
counterpart to push is pull, which receives a change from a (remote)
repo and merges it into yours. Basically the workflow is:

a) change or create a new $file
b) git add $file //stages the file for commit
c) git commit //file has been added to your repo, a new revision has
been created (e.g. commit id 8f3fc3811f9e97bd1080)
d) git pull origin master //get the latest changes from the master
branch of the (remote) origin repo
e) git push origin master //copies the commit into the remote repo

For more details you might want to read Pro Git [0]. It is a free ebook
but consider donating. There is also a short introduction to egit [1]
and Shawn Pearce/Chris A. have recently done a webcast on egit [2].

> I try to action Push (popup menu on project->Team) then get the rep
> wizard dialog, enter the ecf-nonepl uri, get the second page and
> there... cant get forward cause of two fields: 'Source ref' and
> 'Destination ref' which wizard block me here.
> Dont know why ...

Please do not use ecf-nonepl anymore, but the corresponding repo to your
work listed on ECF's github page [3].

Markus

[0] http://progit.org/book/
[1] http://www.churbanov.com/blog/2010/07/12/eclipse-egit-plugin/