Re: [ecf-dev] Move to GIT

On 06/14/2010 08:11 PM, Wim Jongman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have discussed the move to GIT on the conference call. We have agreed
> to move to GIT as soon as possible. There are a couple of things that
> need to be solved in our way of working which we can discuss here:
>
> One advantage of GIT is to have a staged repository. This means that
> check-ins do not pile up in your workspace but that you can frequently
> commit in your local repository. This sounds good but it comes with its
> own sets of threats. For example, programmers tend to become more
> isolated because their work is not frequently merged to the master
> repository (if somebody again says there is no master repository, I
> start screaming ;). Also, if the programmer loses his/her local disk
> then a lot of changes can get lost because of local only check-ins. In
> contrast check-ins to CVS HEAD require high quality bites of code which
> forces the programmer to think/work like that.
>
> Markus suggested to have some kind of intermediate repository (lets say
> TEST) where work can be merged and build without breaking the build on
> the master repository. This could even be automated, when the TEST build
> succeeds, all changes are released to the master repository.
>
> We have talked about the lack of eclipse integration. The CVS
> state-of-the-art is not available in GIT yet but better integration and
> adoption rate should run parallel.  I have worked on some issue a few
> months ago in EGit and they have a really committed team. I expect that
> GIT integration will become better real quick.
>
> GIT also allows us to use code reviews tools like Gerrit. We have to ask
> the GIT team how this increases the workload, but a bug in one of my own
> contributions was caught early this way so I can state from personal
> experience/shame that this works.

Hi,

another question is if and how we technically want to move from CVS to
git. For my GSoC project I went with one project/bundle per repo
aggregating a feature set into a parent repo (submodules). Unfortunately
egit/jgit does not support submodules (yet). Other Eclipse projects use
a different approach and host a feature set into a single repo.
IMO the single bundle per repo approach offers the biggest flexibility
while it certainly requires more sophisticated tooling (which is not
there yet in Eclipse).
Thoughts?

Markus

Back to the top