[ecf-dev] Tool Evaluation: Atlassian FishEye (Repo Browsing and Stats) and Crucible (Code Reviews)

Hi fellow ECFers,

During one of our conference calls a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned
how I'd like to give a couple of development/collab tools a try upon
returning to be active with code contributions and mentoring Sebastian
Schmidt during his GSoC 2010 project.

In particular, I've been (and still am) looking into code review
tools. Over the last couple of weeks, I've singled out Gerrit, Review
Board and Crucible as worth giving a shot.

I've installed and played around a little with Gerrit, the review tool
modeled after Mondrian and Rietveld. The Android team utilizes Git as
sole version control system and Gerrit which is _tightly_ integrated
with it. Latter fact is the main reason for me to think that at this
point, given our infrastructure (i.e. CVS and daily read-only Git
snapshots), Gerrit is not the right choice for ECF. My experiences of
just a couple of days with Gerrit are limited, yet it feels as if
Gerrit enforces strict workflows where we probably don't seek any.

Review Board is another option which has been around for a while. I
didn't get around to install it anywhere yet.

I have an evaluation license of FishEye and Crucible running at
http://dev.codesurgeon.com:8060 It's hooked up to Sebastian and my
github repo and the ECF daily git snapshot. If you're interested in
what functionalities either service offers, I suggest you watch the
two respective short intro videos on the Atlassian website

http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/
http://www.atlassian.com/software/fisheye/

After that and given interest, I'd ask you to sign up at
http://dev.codesurgeon.com:8060 Hook up your account with your
committer name (FishEye extracts all of them auto-magically from the
repo dump) and play around with the code analysis/stats features. Even
more important, give the code review features a try by asking somebody
to review a specific commit.

Please share your ideas and suggestions for workflows and/or your
experiences with the Atlassian tools.

Cheers,

Mustafa
--