Re: [ecf-dev] multiple service call

Hi Abhisek,

abhisek saikia wrote:
Hi All
I was trying to have a load balancer using ECF.I am using ECF with ECF generic.my provider is distributed across multiple machines.And i want my consumer to pick any of the provider based on round robin and make the service call..How can i do this?Does ECF have support for this?

The JMS/ActiveMQ has support for what you are describing (i.e. round robin service call handling), by using the semantics of the JMS Queue. This is described w/src code here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Load_Balancing_Remote_Services

None of this logic is part of OSGi 4.2 remote services, however, so it's all specific to individual ECF providers. Currently, there is *not* support for the round robin choosing/making service call in the ECF generic provider. It could be added, but it would be a new feature for that provider...essentially duplicating the JMS/ActiveMQ Queue semantics (multiple consumers...i.e. service impls...attached to a single producer...i.e. service consumer/client). As of right now, the JMS/ActiveMQ provider is the only one that supports this behavior. A thing to be clear about, however, is that almost *all* of the ActiveMQ provider impl is actually in an abstract plugin: org.eclipse.ecf.provider.jms...which just uses the JMS spec. There is very little code that is ActiveMQ-specific. So in good OSGi fashion :), it's very close to a trivial matter to reuse this abstract plugin to create providers based upon other JMS implementations, if desired.

Scott

Back to the top