Re: [ecf-dev] org.eclipse.ecf.example.clients & IllegalMonitorStateException

Hi Dann,
The source of the problem is a conflict introduced because EMF is commonly used. The reason is mainly that EMF is extremely useful. Your 'advanced discovery system' would suffer from the same problem if it had been around for a while in different versions and was subject to heavy reuse by lots of projects.

The overhead of using EMF is often very small. For three reasons. 1) It is likely that it's part of the mix already, 2) the EMF runtime is indeed small, and 3) it is well written in terms of performance.

As for p2's ability to "solve all this", what magic exactly is it that you think that p2 should possess? The way I see it, p2 is showing it strenght by ensuring that all requirements expressed by the bundles are honored. It refuses the install and provides a detailed explanation of the conflict. The difference compared to the old update manager is that problems are discovered early and not as exceptions during runtime.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren