[ecf-dev] ECF remote services support for Eclipse 3.5.x

Hi Folks,

ECF 3.2...due to be released this week (Feb 19) has some dependencies on new code/additions to the ECF core bundle (i.e. org.eclipse.ecf). These additions were/are needed to support the OSGi 4.2 remote services specification, which I implemented in December.

Problem is, the ECF core bundle is distributed with the Eclipse platform rather than the ECF SDK. The reason for this is that Equinox p2 uses ECF filetransfer (which depends upon and requires ECF core), and so ECF core and ECF filetransfer bundles are included in p2 and Eclipse. The version of ECF core bundle in Eclipse 3.5.1 is fairly old (Sept 2009) and so needs to be updated for the remote services work to function.

One consequence for this is that once we release the ECF 3.2 SDK (Feb 19), it will be necessary for people to get/use an Eclipse milestone (e.g. 3.6M6) in order to fully use the ECF 3.2 remote services features. Because of the additions to ECF core described above, they will be unable to install ECF 3.2 sdk into Eclipse 3.5.1 and seemlessly use the new remote services work. This is obviously undesirable, because it means that it will make it more difficult for people to use ECF 3.2 remote services (they will need to get Eclipse 3.6M5+...or get the ECF core bundles separately to add them to their target platform).

The question is...what to do?  There are a couple of possibilities:

1) Require people to use Eclipse 3.6 milestones to fully use the new ECF remote services 2) Create a new distribution for Eclipse 3.5.1 that includes the new ECF core bundle.
3) Create a patch for Eclipse 3.5.1
4) Provide some more documentation for people to work-around
5) Do something else that I haven't thought of

The rub here is that I personally do not have any time to work on the ECF build this week...and there will probably be work necessary to do 2, 3, 4, or 5.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Contributions?

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top