[ecf-dev] newsreader contribution

Hi Wim,

I've retrieved and done an initial high-level review of the Salvo newsreader sources at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Newsreader/sources (v0.5.0).

In short, things look great...again many thanks for the contribution to ECF of the work.

I have a couple of suggestions to make the IP review process easier/quicker, and I'll enumerate them below, so that we/I don't repeat ourselves as additional more specific reviews are done by me and/or other ECF committers. 1) Plugin structure looks great to me (separation between core, model, ui, and application is good). I noticed that the Apache mime4j is included as a dependency (for salvo.ui plugin) and since this is obviously an Apache library, and as far as I can tell it is *not* currently present in Orbit, we'll probably have to submit an IQ for this library separately...and eventually perhaps contribute it to the Orbit project. Is it possible that the salvo.ui plugin could work without this dependency?...(or perhaps on some other existing library/bundle from Orbit or other EF project).

2) The existing bundles/packages are named com.weltevree.salvo.*. Do you want to have the name of the project be 'salvo'? Eventually, we'll need to decide on some project/bundle/package naming in the org.eclipse.ecf.* namespace. I would suggest something like org.eclipse.ecf.nntp.*, or perhaps org.eclipse.ecf.news.*...this is something we should probably jointly decide.

3) Every source file will eventually need a copyright notice. Below (as an example), are the copyright notices that I use for EclipseSource or Composent (my own company). You can use these as examples if you wish, and either put a personal (i.e. just you) in the copyright, or co-authors, or an organization/company...as is appropriate (you as the author of the code must be able describe the provenance of all of the source for the IP review).

4) I notice that the execution environment for most of the plugins was set to J2SE-1.5. This is *fine*, but *if possible*, it would be great to move this *down* to J2SE-1.4 or even CDC 1.1/Foundation 1.1. This would allow the relevant code to run on smaller/older runtimes. For example, perhaps the model bundle could be moved down to CDC 1.1/Foundation 1.1

When you are ready, I can/will create an account for you on the ECF OSU Open Source Lab CVS server (ecf1.osuosl.org) and we can make the projects available on that CVS server, and at that point ECF committers will be able to help with the editing/etc prior to going through the CQ/IP process. This is where we have the TwitterHub application for example.

In the longer term, I see some great opportunities to take the newsreader model and make it into a new ECF API (or perhaps merge it with the existing bulletin board API). Given ECF's structure (of having container adapters that expose particular protocols), I think this should be natural to do, and I and/or other ECF committers can/will help with this. This would allow easy consumption of the newsreader model within other applications and/or UIs. It would/will also make integration with existing ECF apps (like TweetHub) much more easy/natural.

Thanks,

Scott

/****************************************************************************
* Copyright (c) 2004, 2009 Composent, Inc. and others.
* All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials
* are made available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0
* which accompanies this distribution, and is available at
* http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
*
* Contributors:
*    Composent, Inc. - initial API and implementation
*****************************************************************************/

/*******************************************************************************
* Copyright (c) 2009 EclipseSource and others. All
* rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials are made
* available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0 which
* accompanies this distribution, and is available at
* http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
*
* Contributors: Scott Lewis - initial API and implementation

Wim Jongman wrote:
Hi,

I am currently writing a newsreader client which I would like to contribute to ECF. If you want to help us review the code to get this going, please sent me a mail and I will sent you svn coordinates. See screeenshot and wiki.eclipse.org/newsreader <http://wiki.eclipse.org/newsreader>

Best regards,

Wim