[ecf-dev] Inter-process Communication (IPC) for Java

Hi Folks,

I'd like to introduce Clark N. Hobbie and myself to the ECF developer mailing list.

Clark is the author of CLIPC, a Java API for IPC with native implementations for both the win32 and the linux platform. The project is currently hosted at SourceForge http://sourceforge.net/projects/clipc/ and Clark has informative slides available at http://www.slideshare.net/ltsllc/java-ipc-and-the-clip-library

I came across this project while I was looking for ways to improve O/S and desktop integration for the Eclipse IDE, you know, things like opening a Java file from the file system explorer, or downloading and handling files from web pages, e.g. Buckminster Component Queries. I have high hopes that the work we do here, will spill over to other parts and make for a better user experience for the Eclipse IDE, overall.

After some discussion between Scott and the both of us, it seemed like a good idea to leverage further development of this library under the Eclipse ECF umbrella. The Eclipse ecosystem has no fear of native code and I figure we can learn how to build for all supported platforms from projects such as SWT and the Equinox Native Launcher.

Since we started this conversation a bit earlier, we feel it is time we continue the conversation over here on this mailing list.

In the party drone of the Galileo release, a little party toot extra, here :)

Best regards,
Dann

Back to the top