Re: [ecf-dev] HEAD open for 4.0 development?

Christian Campo wrote:

> Am 22.06.2009 um 17:32 schrieb Markus Alexander Kuppe:
>
>> Scott Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> 1) We have been asked by the RT PMC to consider slowing down our major
>>> release cycles (i.e. going to minor releases rather than yearly major
>>> releases).  They are representative of some consumers.
>>
>> Do you have more details about the request? Or for sake of openness
>> would be possible for those parties to respond to this email thread?
>
> My only comment is on the future plans for ECF 4.0. Do you have a major
> release each year with a major version increase? Do you always
> anticipate on making breaking changes for each yearly release? My
> concern is for the ECF bundles which are now part of the Equinox
> release. Down in the core platform we tend to keep the major version of
> our bundles for many releases. I am wondering how much breaking changes
> we should anticipate in our dependencies on ECF.

So what I take from this mail is that the RT PMC isn't really concerned
about the marketing implications of annual release or the project at a
whole moving too fast.
Their biggest concern seems to be limited to the stability of the
relatively small and well contained ECF filetransfer API. IMO this can
easily be address by keeping filetransfer on 3.x while other parts of
the project move to 4.x.

Markus

Back to the top