Re: [ecf-dev] HEAD open for 4.0 development?

Hi Remy,

Remy Chi Jian Suen wrote:
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Scott Lewis<slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
True....but the other side of the marketing coin is true also...that is, if
we can't move quickly enough in our own relevant area then we are also
likely to suffer in marketing terms...that is, we won't be 'new and cool'.

Well, who and/or what exactly is "holding us back"?

I'm not saying anyone/anything is holding us back.

Are you talking
about the requests to "slow down"? If by quickly you mean in
"development",

No, I'm not particularly referring to development, but rather external presentation/perception of development. I think that in terms of actual development we (committers and contributors) are moving very quickly...and have for a long time. That is, given the resource constraints on us, we have/continue to make very rapid progress in terms of development.

What I was referring to above was the perception of that development from outside the project. You can call this marketing, I suppose, but I think the word 'marketing' can sort of diminish it's importance (with all due respect to my marketing colleagues). I really prefer to think of it as the presentation of the project to the community...which, like it or not, IMHO can have a lot to do with the long-term adoption/usage of what the project creates.

well, that is unavoidable considering the number of
people that work on ECF full-time.

Yes ;)

Not being "new and cool" is not the consumer's problem in my opinion.
I mean, sure, we'll feel kind of down about it as committers and
contributors. But if the committers and contributors are not putting
time into ECF then it's not going to be "new and cool", plain and
simple.

Yes, I agree that if development slows down (or doesn't move along quickly enough), then 'new and cool' is likely to ultimately go away. But I would say that even if good/strong/innovative development continues (and I think it has/is with ECF) this does not in any sense *guarantee* that any project will be perceived as 'new and cool'.

If no one has time to work on ECF to make it "new and cool"
every year by investing some cycles on it, then that's that.

I don't disagree with you, but happily I don't think this is the case with ECF...as we are doing new and cool things IMHO...and we are getting more contributions and new committers consistently. So I don't think this is really an issue for us. But having not enough time to work on ECF is a struggle for some of us at some times...I know that's true.

Naturally, consumers will suffer if development has halted but if no
one wants to take some time out to work on ECF, then that's nobody's
fault if you ask me.

Again, I *don't* think development halting...or no one wanting to work on ECF...are problems for us. Note having *enough* time to do *all* the things that we can/want to do is a constant battle (for me, at least). But IMHO that just has to be dealt with...through persistence, diversity, inflow of new contributors and committers, attention to industry trends (e.g. wave) etc.

Scott

Back to the top