e-mail to the Technology PMC?

Best regards,

Wim Jongman

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Schaefer, Doug
<Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+1. ECF or Tech. Nothing more to add.

-----Original Message-----
From: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff McAffer
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 10:54 AM
To: Tools PMC mailing list
Cc: Wayne Beaton; slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [tools-pmc] Newsreader project

Looking at the current top level projects list, I don't think that
there is currently a project that is a good fit for tools like this.
Ideally there should be a "Social" top level project that would fit
tools like this one and could also hold the "Social" subprojects from
ECF like the chat clients and the IRC client and possible future
projects like a twitter client. I have some other ideas about this top
level project. However, at the moment, the Tools project seems the
best.

I am not so fussed about which top-level project at the moment and
generally we don't start top-levels until there is a very clear
direction and community.

Also we should keep separate (to a certain degree) which technology is
being used.  That is, just cause the project *might* be in mylyn (for
example) does not mean that one automatically has to install mylyn to
make it work.  That all depends on the code dependencies.  We have
swaths of Equinox that don't need the Equinox framework at all or can
run on other frameworks.

Your comments around Social and ECF actually lead me to believe that
while the implementation does not necessarily use ECF, ECF is currently
a focal point at Eclipse for social/communications things.  So perhaps
this is better suited to being part of ECF with an aim to at some point
growing a broader social community.  Failing that, I personally suggest
a project in Technology.  Technology is the usual spot to start projects
that have no other obvious home.

Jeff